Subject: Outdoor bronze sculpture

Outdoor bronze sculpture

From: Maickel van Bellegem <metalsconservation<-a>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2005
Currently we are examining two outdoor bronze sculptures from early
and middle 20th century for a renowned museum in the netherlands.
General condition is good, however there is dirt and bird droppings
on the surface (likely for three years) present. Also some areas
have green corrosion/run-off. From a previous treatment report we
learned they have been treated in the early nineties with: "EMS
(white wax with silicone)" and "wax + Teflow (luster 7)". We have
the following questions:

    Will the patina be damaged/ discolored underneath the bird
    droppings?

    Is it possible to remove remnants of the silicone or Teflow, and
    if so how?

    If these products are not removed, will they cause problems to
    the bronze/ patina in the future or when applying a high melting
    point microcrystalline wax with a hot air gun?

Maickel van Bellegem, metalsconservator

                 Distributed: Friday, February 18, 2005