Subject: Tapa

Tapa

From: Naoko Fukumaru <me<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 13, 2005
Hartmut Kutzke <h.kutzke [at] uni-bonn__de> writes

>We are working on the conservation of a Tapa from Hawaii. Do anyone
>have information about the impregnation (oils, waxes, resins etc.)
>of such tapas? And on the binding media for pigments used in
>traditional Hawaiian artcraft? Furthermore, we are looking for a IR
>spectrum of candlenut.

I am not specialized in Tapa but I recently read the publication
"Barkcloth"--Aspect of preservation, use, deterioration,
conservation and display. It is edited by Margot M. Wright and
published by Archetype Publication Ltd. in 2001. This publication
describes the technology and conservation of various type of tapa.
The article of Emily Johnson "The deacidification and conservation
of the barkcloth elements of a Samoan tapa at the Manchester Museum"
might be useful for your project.

Naoko Fukumaru
Assistant Conservator
Sculpture and Decorative Art