Subject: Tapa

Tapa

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Saturday, February 12, 2005
Hartmut Kutzke <h.kutzke [at] uni-bonn__de> writes

>We are working on the conservation of a Tapa from Hawaii. Do anyone
>have information about the impregnation (oils, waxes, resins etc.)
>of such tapas? And on the binding media for pigments used in
>traditional Hawaiian artcraft? Furthermore, we are looking for a IR
>spectrum of candlenut.

I would refer you to Simon Kooijman's Tapa in Polynesia monograph
published in the Bernice P. Bishop Museum Bulletin 234 in 1972.  It
is an excellent compendium of information.  Kooijman did a wonderful
job of gathering all available information together from disparate
sources and in doing original fieldwork. I did fieldwork in
Polynesia in the 1980s concerning tapa cloth, and found his book of
great value.

Niccolo Caldararo, Ph.D.
Dept. of Anthropology
San Francisco State University