Subject: Jute

Jute

From: James Elwing <elgur<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 13, 2005
Slim Khosrof <labo.inp [at] gnet__tn> writes

>Could someone from the list familiar with jute fiber provide me with
>information on physical properties, form of degradation. etc.
>Elements of recognition under microscope and digital micrography
>will help a lot.

I have tried deacidifying what I understood was jute fibre hessian
woven textile using 50% saturated calcium hydroxide solution, and it
produced copious extended discolouration in solutions, similar to
degraded newsprint. It appears to be photosensitive like newsprint,
so I assume it contains considerable amounts of some lignin like
substance.

James Elwing
Conservator, Archives
Powerhouse Museum