Subject: Regalrez

Regalrez

From: Jon Brandon <jonbrandon<-a>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2005
Ewa Bjordell <ewa [at] konservering__se> writes

>We have heard of the hydrocarbon resin Regalrez which theoretically
>appears to suit our purposes. Regalrez, however, has so far very
>limited use in Sweden. Therefore we would be very grateful for any
>advice from colleagues with experience from working with Regalrez.

We have used Regalrez 1126 in some situations on wooden objects,
usually as a barrier coat or as a saturating varnish.  The
properties of Regalrez meet all of your criteria.  But Regalrez is
so soluble in aliphatic hydrocarbons that it can quickly and easily
be removed mistakenly; such as if a paste wax were to be applied
over the coating.  I would also point out that Regalrez saturates
very well and could change the appearance of your panels.  Testing
is advised.  I would also strongly recommend using 10% Kraton G as
an elastomer in the Regalrez solution because Regalrez is very
brittle and scratches very easily.  A good article explaining the
properties of Regalrez is "Regalrez in Furniture Conservation," by
Hans Piena in the Journal of the American Institute for
Conservation, Spring 2001, Vol. 40, No. 1.

Jon E. Brandon
East Point Conservation Studio
14 Maine St., Box 5
Brunswick, ME 04011