Subject: Regalrez

Regalrez

From: Nicola Attard Montalto <nicola_am<-a>
Date: Saturday, February 12, 2005
Ewa Bjordell <ewa [at] konservering__se> writes

>We have heard of the hydrocarbon resin Regalrez which theoretically
>appears to suit our purposes. Regalrez, however, has so far very
>limited use in Sweden. Therefore we would be very grateful for any
>advice from colleagues with experience from working with Regalrez.

I am currently carrying out a detailed research and experimental
programme on varnishes for my thesis, which deals with a comparative
analysis of their properties, and one of the varnishes I am studying
is actually Regalrez 1094.  I am aging canvas-painting replicas,one
of which is coated in this varnish, and will be testing the
solubility, colour changes etc. by the end of this month.
Nevertheless, several tests have already been carried out prior to
my study and I can therefore unquestionably state that literature
quotes it as having rather good aging properties and physical
characteristics.

I would, however, not really recommend it if a non-glossy surface is
required, unless used in relatively dilute solutions (the AIC
Painting Conservation Catalogue Volume 1 on Varnishes and Surface
Coatings, complied by Wendy Samet, published in 1998, also affirms,
on p. 112, that it is glossier than the ketones and natural resins).
I myself used a 20% solution to coat my replica(s) (the usual
concentrations are approx between 15 and 25%) and noted its
particular gloss.  Before using it, it might be better to perform a
series of tests with various concentrations and the different
application methods to see if the desired optical characteristics
can be achieved.

A matte varnish sometimes used is Paraloid B-72, but even this has
some disadvantages. I hope I have been of some assistance,

Nicola Attard Montalto
Easel Paintings and Polychrome Sculpture Conservation Student
The Malta Centre fore Restoration
Kalkara
Malta

                 Distributed: Friday, February 18, 2005