Subject: Storing filmstrips

Storing filmstrips

From: Burt Altman <baltman<-a>
Date: Saturday, January 29, 2005
I have several rolls of filmstrips created in the late 1940s that
are housed in small metal cans. Although I haven't noticed any metal
corrosion at this point, I would like to store them in a more
archival environment. Does anyone know of an archival filmstrip
container, perhaps made from polypropylene, that is fairly inert and
can be used to store each roll?  I've checked in the major archival
catalogs (University Products, Conservation Resources, and Light
Impressions) but haven't seen them listed. The standard archival
16mm and 35mm film canisters are too large to store them.

Burt Altman, Certified Archivist
Florida State University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005