Subject: Elevator cab

Elevator cab

From: Nancy E. Binnie <nancy_binnie<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 8, 2005
Restoration of 1935 elevator cab in Winnipeg

I am carrying out research for the restoration of a historic
elevator cab interior, installed by Otis-Fensom in 1935 in Winnipeg.
Certain elements of the elevator cab are now missing (flooring,
octagonal light fixture).

Can anyone provide information about the flooring product that was
used, Dominion Rubber Tile floor, and corresponding colours to go
with colour-specification codes T35, T65, T101 and T53.

The wood elevator cab interiors were fabricated by the Newbigging
Cabinet Co.--I have been unable to trace this company.

I would be interested in any readers contacting me about restoration
projects carried out in historic elevators anywhere in Canada or the
US.

Nancy E. Binnie
Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
Conservation Processes and Materials Research
Canadian Conservation Institute
Department of Canadian Heritage
1030 Innes Road, Ottawa
Ontario K1A 0M5
Canada
613-998-3721
Fax: 613-998-4721

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005