Subject: Consolidating mica

Consolidating mica

From: Laurent Sozzani <l.sozzani<-a>
Date: Monday, February 7, 2005
I am looking for information on the consolidation of thin sheets of
splitting mica.  We have a set of costume overlays painted on mica
that are laid over a small miniature portrait painted on copper.
Handling has damaged some of the mica overlays--should they be
consolidated?  Is it desirable to consolidate the mica as opposed to
letting well enough alone and relying on good storage and minimal
handling for their preservation.

Laurent Sozzani
Senior Paintings Restorer
Paintings Restoration Department
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
Postbus 74888
1070 DN Amsterdam
The Netherlands
+31 20 6747294
Fax: +31 20 6747001a

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005