Subject: Fire retardant on historic textiles

Fire retardant on historic textiles

From: Fiona Hutton <fiona<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2005
I have been asked to look into the spraying of fire retardant onto
some 1950's textile hangings,  which are in a public building. Does
anyone know of any research which has been done on the effect of
fire retardants  on fibres over time.  My instinct is to say it
should not be done but I have no scientific proof and I am not in
the position to do research on this myself.

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005