Subject: Mounting prints on metal substrate

Mounting prints on metal substrate

From: Liz Wild <liz.wild<-a>
Date: Monday, January 31, 2005
Does anyone have suggestions or experience of how to mount and store
prints on metal substrates without frames. We have a four prints by
Janet Burchill on zinc coated steel, galvanised iron and aluminium.
We are considering adhering aluminium cleats on the back so they can
be easily hung on the wall without frames. This method may also be
used for storage, where the prints would be hung in handling frames
using the same cleat system. We have tested Paraloid B48N and an
epoxy (Epotek 730) on some test coupons and while their sheer
strengths were good, with both adhesives, the pieces were easily
prised apart with a metal instrument in the workshop.

Framing the works is not out of the question so I would also greatly
appreciate any advice on this. Thank you,

Liz Wild
Sculpture Conservator
Queensland Art Gallery
PO Box 3686 South Brisbane
Queensland 4101
+61 7 3842 9296
Fax: 7 3844 8865

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005