Subject: Regalrez

Regalrez

From: Ewa Bjordell <ewa<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2005
We are currently working with conservation and restoration of the
painted interiors of the 18th century Drottningholm Theater,
belonging to the Royal Drottningholm Castle in Stockholm. The
present paint layer on the wooden panels is not original, but most
likely an oil paint from the beginning of the 19th century. The
paint layer contains lead white, and is considerably thin. As of
today the paint is severely deteriorated, though not flaking. It is
partially water soluble, which we believe is due to previous
restoration processes, using too strong alkali solvents.

Having cleaned the panels, we are now interested in finding a medium
or synthetic resin to protect the surface from further
deterioration. The medium should be soluble, and stay re-soluble, in
a weak polar solvent. It should be able to form a consistent film at
low concentrations and have very good ageing properties. Further,
the medium should be able to achieve a similar matt surface
appearance as that of the original untreated surface.

We have heard of the hydrocarbon resin Regalrez which theoretically
appears to suit our purposes. Regalrez, however, has so far very
limited use in Sweden. Therefore we would be very grateful for any
advice from colleagues with experience from working with Regalrez.

Ewa Bjordell
Conservator
Stockholms Malerikonservering
Ture Nermans Grand 4
112 37 Stockholm
Sweden
+46 8 653 09 67

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005