Subject: Faded photograph prints

Faded photograph prints

From: Jackie Hoffman-Chin <doublechin<-a>
Date: Friday, January 28, 2005
Mark D. Hanson <curator [at] aeromuseum__org> writes

>I have inherited a puzzling problem. We have a hallway along one
>wall of which a photo timeline runs. The hallway is lighted by
>fluorescent tube lights in enclosed fixtures. It is an interior
>hallway with no windows. The photos are color scans of primarily
>black and white originals printed in color on glossy photo paper
>from an ink jet printer. The prints are then dry mounted onto foam
>core.
>
>The photos appear to "randomly" fade at an alarming rate. We have
>tried using different papers and different printers, but to no
>avail, we have tried to isolate a correlation to lighting hotspots,
>but none exist. Photos fade just as quickly in darker areas of the
>hallway as in brighter ones. We have tried control groups of
>multiple picture using the same print settings, printer, ink
>cartridges, box of paper, and dry mounting materials and technique.
>Nothing seems to work. ...

Most digital photographers, myself included,  have already conquered
this problem: see the Epson Stylus Photo 2000P-C373011 specifically
designed to print archival quality prints.  They claim 100 years
under normal conditions.  Buy the right archival paper and your all
good. Also take a look at HP.  Call the printer reps., they will
have all the permanence studies at hand.

J. Chin
Merchants House Museum

                Distributed: Thursday, February 10, 2005