Subject: Displaying posters

Displaying posters

From: Ann Douglas <adouglas<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2005
The library is planning a 60th anniversary World War II exhibition
this spring and a problem has arisen over how the posters should be
displayed. Conservation staff would like to encapsulate the posters
and attach them to  back mats in large 32 x 45 inch frames. The
posters would remain encapsulated when they returned to the
department to protect them when they are handled by staff and the
public.

The curator feels that the combination of mylar and the plexiglass
create too much glare. She would like to treat them as works of art,
have them hinged and matted with a window mat.

Our gallery does not have security staff or cameras so security is
an issue, and we screw all our frames to the wall. Are there better
ways to display posters? How do other institutions display their
posters?

Ann Douglas
Preservation and Digitization Services
Toronto Reference Library