Subject: Acryloid B-72 emulsion adhesive

Acryloid B-72 emulsion adhesive

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2005
In the spirit of my own posting (!), I am adding information that
someone asked me for off-line--a recipe for a B-72 emulsion (See
Conservation DistList Instance: 18:33 Sunday, January 23, 2005) .

Mix a 20% solution of B-72 in xylene with an equal volume of water.
Add a few drops of Triton X-100 and shake.  Continue this step until
an emulsion is formed.  This recipe is from Anne MacKay, "Treatment
of a Painted Plaster sculpture: The Bard by Emanuel Hahn," Journal,
IIC-CG 22 (1997): 33.

It may be that other wetting agents/detergents might work as well.

If you try the stuff, *Please post your results*.  It seems to me
that if it works in *any* situation where a commercial emulsion
would otherwise be used, it would be preferable for many reasons.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West
New York, NY  10025