Subject: Antler

Antler

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Mark Vine <vpackthread [at] aol__com> writes

>A conservator without access to the Internet has asked for advice on
>what might be suitable for filling a gaping hole in an antler.

I have used tinted Flugger, bulked-out epoxy, or bulked-out
polyester resin. Epoxy or polyester are good for large fills, and as
long as you make the mix into a putty or dough, it is easy to
handle.  Most fresh antler is extremely solid and durable, so
reversibility should not be a problem. For degraded antler or small
fills I have used Flugger.  You might want to put an isolation layer
of B-72 on first.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass