Subject: Removing chewing gum from carpets

Removing chewing gum from carpets

From: Peter Maitland Hood <petermaitlandhood<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 2005
Flavia Perugini <fperugini [at] mountvernon__org> writes

>We have a serious problem with chewing gum being dropped by visitors
>onto the modern carpets in our buildings.  Several attempts to
>remove the gum have been made but we are still looking for the best
>method and material. ...

I was surveyor of all works at Madame Tussaud's waxwork exhibition
hall in London in the 1970s and remember the maintenance staff froze
the chewing gum that had been trodden into the carpet, then crushed
it so that it could be removed by vacuum. It seemed to work and
didn't seem to cause further damage to the wool, much of which was a
looped pile in Brussels weave.

Peter Maitland Hood
Mercia House
51 The Green