Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Antler


From: Mark Vine <vpackthread<-a>
Date: Saturday, January 22, 2005
A conservator without access to the Internet has asked for advice on
what might be suitable for filling a gaping hole in an antler.

My understanding is that the area that requires filling is pretty
large, ideally the conservator would like to use something that
could, if necessary, be easily reversed.

My initial thought was the use of Paraloid B72 with a bulking agent
such as microballoons combined with a suitable pigment   or  the use
of an acrylic putty such as Flugger with a suitable pigment.

Can anyone suggest alternatives or comment on the suitability of
either of the above for this purpose?

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd

                  Conservation DistList Instance 18:34
                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 25, 2005
                       Message Id: cdl-18-34-019
Received on Saturday, 22 January, 2005

[Search all CoOL documents]