Subject: Consolidating wood on painted panels

Consolidating wood on painted panels

From: Miguel Alexandre Oliveira Garcia <miguel-garcia<-a>
Date: Sunday, January 23, 2005
I am a conservator of wood painted panels, working in the Portuguese
Institute of Conservation and Restoration, in Lisbon. During the
conservation of these panels, mostly made of northern European oak, I
usually deal with rotted wood problems, particularly cubic brown
rot. I have used several mixtures, made with acrylic resins or wax
impregnations, but none has given the desirable fixing of the cubic
plaques of wood, and at the same time maintaining the mechanical
flexibility needed by the wood. Does anyone have any experience with
positive results of consolidation of cubic rotten wood that could
share with me? Any suggestions are welcome.

Miguel Garcia

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 25, 2005