Subject: Freezing composite objects

Freezing composite objects

From: Kathryn Hallett <kathryn.hallett<-a>
Date: Monday, January 24, 2005
We have two Edwardian 'Bath Chairs' which are heavily infested with
biscuit beetle and woodworm.  We are considering freezing them in
order to eradicate these pests.  As the objects contain several
types of material including iron work, wicker work, leatherette and
horsehair we need to find out whether freezing is a suitable option
and if so what temperature, exposure time and/or cycle should be
chosen.  Any other suggestions for pest removal in this case would
be greatly appreciated.

Kathryn Hallett
Conservation Scientist
Historic Royal Palaces