Subject: Clear coatings for interior timbers

Clear coatings for interior timbers

From: Greg Peters <greg<-a>
Date: Monday, January 17, 2005
Is anyone aware of research being conducted on contemporary clear
coatings for interior timbers and furniture which in years to come
will be conservation friendly? I am looking for a material that
meets the following criteria: It should

    *   be suitable for use in public institutions,
        institutions, where maintenance is an issue

    *   provide a finish which can be periodically cleaned
        and eventually top coated rather than stripped and replaced

    *   meet with environmental and occupational health and safety
        standards

    *   Stand up to mechanical abrasion, UV light and possible
        water spills

Has industry already developed such a product, or has anyone adopted
other finishes for similar purposes? I am looking for a resilient
finish which can stand the day to day abuse of the public trampling
through a building, yet  might be easily removed if necessary with
out damaging the underlying timber or glues, easily repaired, no
cross linking etc.  A finish with the characteristics of shellac,
yet much more durable than shellac.

Greg Peters
Private Conservator
Patinations