Subject: Removing chewing gum from carpets

Removing chewing gum from carpets

From: Amanda Clydesdale <mandyc<-a>
Date: Monday, January 24, 2005
Flavia Perugini <fperugini [at] mountvernon__org> writes

>We have a serious problem with chewing gum being dropped by visitors
>onto the modern carpets in our buildings.  Several attempts to
>remove the gum have been made but we are still looking for the best
>method and material. ...

I have found that you can remove soft, reasonably fresh chewing gum
from clothes and schoolbags by repeated application of self-adhesive
tape to its surface. Use cellotape (for example), duct tape or
masking tape: this will adhere to the gum and gradually pull it off.
It's relatively gentle on the fabric. Haven't tried it on carpets
but it works OK on denim, fleece, canvas schoolbags etc (yes, you've
guessed, it often comes back from school, stuck to childrens'
clothes..) Good luck.

Mandy Clydesdale,
AOC Archaeology Group,
Edgefield Industrial Estate