Subject: Survey on backing, glazing and enclosures for paintings

Survey on backing, glazing and enclosures for paintings

From: David Frank Bugeja <namuk1<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2005
I am currently reading for a Master's degree in Applied Conservation
at the Malta Centre for Restoration. My dissertation is about
techniques of controlling the relative humidity and temperature in
exhibition places for canvas paintings. In doing so, preventive
conservation practices--mainly backing, glazing and enclosures--are
discussed with the intention of evaluating their negative and
positive aspects.

It has been observed that how much backing, glazing and enclosures
are practiced in exhibition places (in different countries) is not
yet much discussed in literature. The same applies for the materials
utilised for such practices. Therefore, an online survey is now
being conducted to gather the required data. If you are a paintings
conservator or a curator of a museum having canvas paintings in your
care, you are kindly invited to participate in this brief
questionnaire by visiting
<URL:http://www.freewebs.com/namuk/form.htm>

For any queries and/or remarks, please send an email to
namuk1<-a t->euroweb< . >net< . >mt

In addition, I will be very grateful should you send any relevant
bibliographical references to the same email address.

David Frank Bugeja

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 23, 2005