Subject: Environment

Environment

From: Olivia Eller <olivia.eller<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2005
Our history museum is being entirely restored and remodelled, with
new fixtures and fittings.  Most objects will have to go into
conservation.  It will reopen in 2006.  We therefore do not yet know
what its thermohygrometry will be. Apparently the inside temperature
can be controlled to 5 deg. below the outside one--Strasbourg can
get hot and humid in Summer, with temperatures rising to 30 deg.
The museum is situated above a river.

Opinions vary so widely here, and I would much appreciate your views
on:

    1.  varnishing or using microcrystalline wax on all metal
        objects

    2.  the use of silica gel

    3.  the rotation of textile objects every 3-4 months (at 50 lux)

Olivia Eller
Assistante
Musee Historique
5 Place du Chateau