Subject: Water treatment systems for sculptures in fountains

Water treatment systems for sculptures in fountains

From: Hassan Bolourchi <hass<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 13, 2005
Jim Belknap <jbelknap [at] vbmuseum__org> writes

>I am seeking information on water treatment systems for pools and
>fountains that contain bronze sculptures.  I have received
>recommendations from manufacturers of ozone ultraviolet light
>purification systems but am concerned about the effects on various
>patinas.

Ozone is basically used in industry for disinfection of water in a
closed chamber. The use of ozone in a open system can not be
efficient. In addition. Ozone is a highly toxic and reactive matter,
its use need special care. The national Institute of Occupational
Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends an upper limit of 0.10 ppm, not
to be exceeded in the air for human safety.

Because of highly reactivity, Ozone can react with all organic
material in library and museum to destroy them. Suggested ozone
concentration limits for this environments are no higher than 0.001
to 0.013 ppm, with the most frequent recommendation being 0.001 ppm.
For more information please see:
<URL:http://library-dust.com/aircleaner.html>

Hassan Bolourchi, Ph. D. Library-Dust.Consulting. LLC

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 23, 2005