Subject: Rhoplex N-580

Rhoplex N-580

From: Antoinette Dwan <adwan<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Megan Ann Jones <meganann.jones [at] chicagoconservation__com>
writes

>Our textile department has been researching potential adhesive
>materials for use in the mounting of delicate items.  One product
>that has been suggested is Rhoplex N-580 ...

My understanding is that N-series adhesives are cross-linking, so I
would want to confirm that in Skeist (Handbook of Adhesives) before
using it. The Paper Catalog, Sixth Edition 1989, has a useful
section on Acrylic Adhesives and their properties. Note the
Treatment Variations section for applications that could be useful
in textiles.

As a wet emulsion the pH can be very alkaline for some acrylics so
you may want to dry the film and activate with propanol (ethanol
evaporates too quickly), or use very low heat (controlled with a
rheostat). For paper artifacts, I like to use the Lascaux 360HV
diluted with methyl cellulose which cuts the adhesive strength and
creates sites for reversibility options. The heat required is
extremely low (111.2 F), or it can be applied as a
pressure-sensitive adhesive with pressure.

There is a very important research study that I recommend studying:

    Jane Down: Adhesive Testing at the CCI: an Evaluation of
    Selected PVA and Acrylic Adhesives. 1992. Report #1603

It compares yellowing, pH changes, flexibility, and other ageing
characteristics.

Antoinette Dwan
adwan<-a t->sonic< . >net

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 23, 2005