Subject: Water treatment systems for sculptures in fountains

Water treatment systems for sculptures in fountains

From: Lori Arnold <woodbldg<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 5, 2005
Jim Belknap <jbelknap [at] vbmuseum__org> writes

>I am seeking information on water treatment systems for pools and
>fountains that contain bronze sculptures.  I have received
>recommendations from manufacturers of ozone ultraviolet light
>purification systems but am concerned about the effects on various
>patinas.

I agree that you should have reservations about the effects of the
ozone on patinas. While I doubt it would really do anything in the
levels that would be used, the lack of information we have on
ozone's effects and the risks associated with using ozone make it an
expensive long-shot as a treatment. For the past six years, I have
been conducting a great deal of research and testing on ozone and
possible applications for its use in conservation and I can tell you
that this particular water treatment system doesn't really work.

My research shows that ozone doesn't really do a great deal for
controlling biological growths, either. Molds, fungi and bacteria
grow comfortably in its presence, even at high levels. There is a
water-treatment system out there, though, that uses ozone and
ultraviolet light. It appears to be quite effective and I suspect it
is due to the ultraviolet light--not the ozone. While there still
are some bio growths that can survive (happily) in UV light, it does
significantly lowers their quantity--at least in a laboratory
setting. If you could find a system that only uses UV, that may be a
viable option.

Lori Arnold
President
Arnold Wood Conservation, LLC