Subject: Rhoplex N-580

Rhoplex N-580

From: John Burke <jb<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 5, 2005
Megan Ann Jones <meganann.jones [at] chicagoconservation__com>
writes

>Our textile department has been researching potential adhesive
>materials for use in the mounting of delicate items.  One product
>that has been suggested is Rhoplex N-580 ...

Another neat feature of Rhoplex N-580 is its "release-ability."
Applied to a substrate and allowed to completely dry, it becomes
tacky.  You can then stick something porous, like paper or cloth, to
it and release it later using any mild solvent (alkanes, Freon TF,
etc.), leaving the adhesive on the substrate.  I'm not sure how long
this property is retained, though I have released things after a few
months--longer may be a problem.  On a molecular level, I suspect
there's also some residual material transfer, but it does appears to
be a clean separation.

                 Distributed: Monday, January 10, 2005