Subject: Source for paper sought

Source for paper sought

From: Babette Gehnrich <bgehnrich<-a>
Date: Thursday, December 23, 2004
For many years we at the Antiquarian Society have used Mohawk
Superfine paper (80 lb Text and 65 lb. Cover) for the housing of
loose newspaper issues and select graphic arts materials.  Recently,
we noticed that the paper received over the past year had a peculiar
odor (similar to that of fried food, or that of mildly rancid oil);
we decided  to stop using Mohawk Superfine for collection storage
until the mill determines the cause. I am now having difficulties
finding  a substitute paper, as Permalife, another commercial grade
"archival" paper we have used in the past, has been discontinued.

I am looking for a paper of approx. 175 g/m in weight,  and another
lighter paper of approx. 120g/m. The paper should be 100%
lignin-free, preferably buffered; size approx. 28 x 40. We do also
use considerable quantities of .010 and .020 folder stock (236 g/m
and 472g/m) for large format items (prints and maps), but folder
stock is too heavy for certain materials. We typically use 500 to
1000 sheets per year to make folders and envelope liners; price is a
consideration.

So far, I have talked to Conservation Resources, Legion Papers (as
well as other paper distributors), and Fox River mill, and at this
point Art Print (Lenox 25), an unbuffered paper made by Rising seems
to be our only option.

Can anyone suggest other papers? Is anyone familiar with Fox River
Sundance and Starwhite?

Babette Gehnrich
Chief Conservator
American Antiquarian Society