Subject: Rhoplex N-580

Rhoplex N-580

From: Murray Lebwohl <livewell47<-a>
Date: Monday, December 20, 2004
Megan Ann Jones <meganann.jones [at] chicagoconservation__com>
writes

>Our textile department has been researching potential adhesive
>materials for use in the mounting of delicate items.  One product
>that has been suggested is Rhoplex N-580 ...

When I had a frame shop, (a million years ago) I used Rhoplex AC33
for many years mounting silk  to matboard.  The Rhoplex is allowed
to dry, then it requires moderate hear to attach the fabric.  It
holds pretty well depending upon how much heat is used (you must
experiment) and I have never found any damage to the fabric if the
Rhoplex is allowed to dry completely.  The N 580 stays tcaky, but if
allowed to dry, it would probably hold OK, but it's more likely to
bleed thru a thin fabric.  It can be mixed with the AC 33 to make
the 33 a bit tackier. Hope this helps.

Murray Lebwohl

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 5, 2005