Subject: Cataloging personal reference library

Cataloging personal reference library

From: Jean D. Portell <jeandp<-a>
Date: Friday, December 17, 2004
I would welcome suggestions about how to catalog my personal
collection of conservation-relevant books (technical and
nontechnical), off-prints, photocopied articles and documents,
newspaper clippings, etc., so that these materials can be more
easily accessed by me now, and by other researchers later. I am
referring to my reference library, not to my records of the
examination and treatment of individual objects.

Is there an accepted standard for how to catalog a personal library
of conservation-related books and papers? If not, perhaps a group of
museum librarians (or other people who might eventually be offered
such collections) will kindly propose guidelines?

    **** Moderator's comments: For a start, see
        <URL:>http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/lex/">
        Lexical and Classification Resources

Jean D. Portell