Subject: Sample grinder/polisher sought

Sample grinder/polisher sought

From: Dorothy Krotzer <dorothykrotzer<-a>
Date: Friday, December 17, 2004
Charlotte Ameringer <cseifen [at] famsf__org> writes

>Is anyone aware of a source for a good grinder/polisher for
>cross-sections?  We are looking for a suitable alternative to hand
>polishing and primarily use Bio-Plastic for embedding our
>cross-sections.

You may want to try either Buehler or Leco Corporation, both sell
equipment and supplies for sample preparation and analysis (mainly
for the metallographic industry). They both carry polishers.
Buhler's phone number is 800-283-4537 and their website is
<URL:http://www.buehler.com>. Leco's number is 800-292-6141 and
their website is <URL:http://www.leco.com>.

We currently use a Leco diamond saw to cut our paint cross-sections
(also set in Bioplast) and a simple polishing pad to hand-polish the
samples. Because the cross-sections are cut by a diamond-edged
blade, the surface is already very smooth and needs only minimal
polishing with a felt-type pad. But, the polishing could be done by
hand or machine. It may be worth looking into buying a saw as well,
as it will make the polishing portion of the sample prep go even
more quickly.

Dorothy Krotzer
Senior Conservator
Fairmount Park Historic Preservation Trust
2020 Chamounix Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19131-3724
215-877-8001
Fax: 215-877-8049