Subject: Course on metals

Course on metals

From: David A. Scott <dascott>
Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2004
Ancient and Historic Metals: technology, microstructure and
deterioration.

The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology will be the venue in the summer
of 2005 for the two-week summer course, taught by Professor David A.
Scott, which will comprise: the technology of ancient metals, their
examination and metallurgical microscopy, corrosion, and aspects of
their analysis. We will have interesting new equipment to use this
year, including a bench-top x-ray fluorescence spectrometer in which
our samples can be analysed during the course to further
characterise the metallic materials from which objects were made and
which we will be examining. We will also have different types of
metallurgical and bench microscopes for examination of samples and
polished sections with video demonstration monitors.

Students will examine metal samples from the unrivalled collection
that we have available for study, including mounted and polished
samples of ancient bronzes, iron, steel, silver alloys, tumbaga, and
gold, representing China from the Warring States to the T'ang
Dynasty, ancient South America, the whole of the European bronze
age, south-east Asia, and ancient Egypt.

A maximum number of 10 students will be admitted to this two-week
intensive course which comprises about 80 hours of lectures and
practical work in the laboratory. Students are encouraged to bring
one or two small samples with them for the course, which can be
mounted, polished and examined during the teaching sessions.

The summer course will be held from Monday, 18th to Friday, 29th
July 2005 and the course fee is $950.00 for the two week intensive.
Applicants will be accepted through the UCLA Summer Schools Program,
but in the first instance, please address your applications to:

David A. Scott,
Chair, UCLA/Getty Conservation Program,
The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, UCLA,
Room A410,
405 Hilgard Avenue,
Los Angeles, California, 90095
USA.

                Distributed: Thursday, December 16, 2004