Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Jonathan Kemp <stutterer>
Date: Thursday, December 2, 2004
Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

>... I'm trying to locate any institutional conservation departments
>that can give us information on how the Museum System fares as a
>tool for conservation documentation or can back us up as fellow
>Filemaker-Pro users.

This may be off-field but as free/libre open source software [FLOSS]
options become prevalent its worth noting that there are free
software databases available and adaptable for particular needs,
some with cross-platform support and cross-application integration,
eg. MYSQL database language with a frontend web-based GUI:

    <URL:http://www.acm.org/sigmod/databaseSoftware/>

and here a discussion on  FLOSS versions of Filemaker

    <URL:http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?
        sid=04-08-31/0121250&tid=221&tid=189&tid=4>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Jonathan Kemp
Sculpture conservator
London

                Distributed: Thursday, December 16, 2004