Subject: Epoxy resin for restoration of metal sculpture

Epoxy resin for restoration of metal sculpture

From: N.J. Bud Goldstone <budgoldstone>
Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2004
Jorge Sahione <jsahione [at] yahoo__com> writes

>I am a Monument Conservator in Brazil. I would be grateful to hear
>of any experiences with carrying out repairs to metal sculpture
>(bronze and casting iron) and any suggestions of appropriate epoxy
>resin. ...

As a structures conservation engineer, my main conservation concerns
over use of epoxy resins for "restoration" of metal sculpture are
always a) the often vast differences in thermal, b) elastic and c)
structural strength behavior under loads for 'metals' and 'epoxy
resins'. Troubles may await you in many cases. However, if your
"sculpture" is small and light weight, is kept in a museum, is not
subjected to dynamic loads or those from earthquake or wind loads,
and is confronted by only small thermal differences of a few degrees
from day-to-night and day-to-day, you should have no problems.

Bud Goldstone

                Distributed: Thursday, December 16, 2004