Subject: Rhoplex N-580

Rhoplex N-580

From: Megan Ann Jones <meganann.jones>
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Our textile department has been researching potential adhesive
materials for use in the mounting of delicate items.  One product
that has been suggested is Rhoplex N-580, a material that creates an
adhesive effect similar to post-it notes so that the item can be
removed from the mount as needed without causing unnecessary strain.
While this material is documented in use for mounting works of art
on paper, we could not find information related to its use with
textile materials.

Have any on the list used this material, specifically in mounting
textile items?  If so, what were your observations?  We are
particularly interested on any potential impact on the textile item
over time, such as residue deposits or discoloration.  Any
information, including references, is appreciated.

Megan Ann Jones
Chicago Conservation Center

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 1, 2004