Subject: Convex crayon enlargement photographs

Convex crayon enlargement photographs

From: Katharine Whitman <2kew5>
Date: Friday, November 26, 2004
As a MAC student at Queen's University I am writing a paper and
giving a seminar this semester on the technology of crayon
enlargement photographs, sometimes called solar prints.  I am having
difficulty determining the method of producing the convex form of
some of these prints.  I have been working under the idea that the
board upon which they are mounted must have very short fibres, and
that it is steamed to achieve the convex form.  I am also curious
about how the photograph was mounted to the board.  Was this done
before or after the convex shape was created?  Was there a machine
that would do this?  Any information on these issues would be
appreciated,

Katharine Whitman
MAC candidate
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 1, 2004