Subject: Magnetic closures

Magnetic closures

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner>
Date: Thursday, November 25, 2004
Richard Minsky <consdist [at] bookarts__net> writes

>Is there any documentation of longevity tests on these materials,
>with a comparison of different brands?  Is there a parameter in
>standard nomenclature that addresses the durability of magnets? Does
>it make a difference to longevity whether it is magnet to magnet or
>magnet to metal? My concern is that in 500 years or less the
>closures will not work. This information is needed both for archival
>containers for existing works and in the design of new works.

If you are looking to providing very long term storage conditions,
then even very small gas leakage rates into/out of the storage
container may be of concern. Even if there was no degradation in the
magnetic force, the seal resulting from the use of this kind of
magnetic strip would not be very tight, I would be specifically
concerned about leakage due to diffusion as opposed to other kinds
of leakage. I would also want to know about the plastics and the
glues used in making these strips.

The last few years has seen an increasing number of papers and
symposia on concerns about the creation of, and effects of, sealed
environments on artefacts. Please feel free to contact me off line
to discuss your project further.

Jerry Shiner
Microclimate Technologies International

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 1, 2004