Subject: Lead

Lead

From: Linda Cannon <linda>
Date: Thursday, November 25, 2004
David Kerr <d.kerr [at] nls__uk> writes

>...  A note has been inserted
>with the package of blocks indicating the metal may contain lead and
>therefore lead oxide may be present.  What precautions should we be
>taking when handling these blocks and are there any recommendations
>that should be followed should Library users wish to look at them.
>Also, the printing blocks haven't been cleaned since they were last
>used with a combination of dried ink and dust on them.  Does anybody
>have any recommendations for cleaning them.

A number of years ago Jim Tate, Norman Tennent and myself wrote a
study of the deterioration of lead artifacts in museum storage for
SSCR.

If you contact any of us (presumably Jim is easiest for you), we
should be able to come and see your problem and advise you
accordingly.

Please get in touch if you want to discuss it with me, I did a lot
of research into lead when I worked at the Burrell, and since then
I've had to be on top of lead H&S as I work privately as a stained
glass conservator.

Linda Cannon
<URL:http://www.cannon-macinnes.co.uk>

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 1, 2004