Subject: Classifying resins

Classifying resins

From: Scott Williams <scott_williams>
Date: Thursday, November 25, 2004
Isabel Herraez <isabel.herraez [at] iphe__mcu__es> writes

>I am looking for articles regarding classification of products used
>in conservation, mainly resins. I do recall reading that some
>products belonged to different groups (A: 100 years, B: 75, C: 50,
>etc.) depending on their ageing characteristics, reversibility,
>unexpected changes, etc. ...

This subject is discussed in Accelerated Aging - Photochemical and
Thermal Aspects, Chapter 1: Classifying Resin, by Robert L. Feller,
1999.  This book is available on-line at

    <URL:http://www.getty.edu/conservation/
        publications/pdf_publications/aging.pdf>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Table 1.1. Standards of Intended Use and Photochemical Stability for
Materials in Conservation (Feller 1975), shows his classification
scheme.

R. Scott Williams
Canadian Conservation Institute

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 1, 2004