Subject: Training in conservation of arms and armor

Training in conservation of arms and armor

From: Carl Massaro <yelunatic>
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2004
    author.

I am looking to get into the field of Arms and Armor conservation. I
am 31 years old and have never finished my undergraduate work. I
have spoken to some arms and armor conservators at the Metropolitan
Museum in NYC and they told me that the correct path to this field
would be to do objects conservation. I was wondering  if anyone here
could give me some recommendations as to which schools and  programs
would be good to go to in the New York/New Jersey area for my
education in this field. Should I take Art History or History for my
undergraduate degree? Does undergrad school matter as much as the
graduate school? I was thinking of Hunter college for my undergrad
and then going to Winterthur in Delaware, NYU or even the University
College of London for my graduate degree. I am open to advice.
Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan for a career in
this field. Any help is appreciated.

Carl Massaro

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 24, 2004