Subject: J. Loxton Rawbon

J. Loxton Rawbon

From: Cyndie Lack <cyndielack>
Date: Saturday, November 20, 2004
I am curious to know if any paintings conservators have encountered
the work of a Toronto restorer named J. Loxton Rawbon, active in the
early 20th Century  I currently have a painting with this restorer's
label, dated 1932, which includes the following intriguing text:
This painting is the 1561st restored by the "RAWBON PROCESS."
Perfected after fifteen years of research.  Attacks only decayed
varnish and dirt...contains no biting acids or destructive
chemicals.  Sole discovery of J. Loxton Rawbon, "THE MASTER
RESTORER"  85 Courcelette Rd.  Toronto, Canada.  The condition of
other paintings having undergone this wondrous proprietary process
would also be of interest since this particular painting does not
appear to have been restored by a master.

Cyndie Lack
Paintings conservator
Edmonton, Canada

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 24, 2004