Subject: Lead

Lead

From: David Kerr <d.kerr>
Date: Thursday, November 18, 2004
We have received a donation of printing blocks consisting of wooden
blocks with metal printing plates adhered.  A note has been inserted
with the package of blocks indicating the metal may contain lead and
therefore lead oxide may be present.  What precautions should we be
taking when handling these blocks and are there any recommendations
that should be followed should Library users wish to look at them.
Also, the printing blocks haven't been cleaned since they were last
used with a combination of dried ink and dust on them.  Does anybody
have any recommendations for cleaning them.

David Kerr
Conservation Manager
National Library of Scotland

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 24, 2004