Subject: Security marking with synthetic DNA

Security marking with synthetic DNA

From: Ian Fraser <ian.fraser727>
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2003
Has anyone on the Distlist had any experience with the security
marking of objects with synthetic DNA? The security manager for the
museum service I work for has made enquiries to a company who
undertakes such a service and we have seen a demonstration of it.
The marking is purportedly invisible, inert, will not affect the
object it is on, very durable and extremely difficult to completely
remove, according to the information in the brochures and from the
demonstration.  If any reader has any knowledge or experiences of
this type of security marking please could they share it on the
Distlist.

Ian Fraser
Furniture Conservator
Leeds Museums and Galleries
Temple Newsam House
Leeds
UK

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 24, 2004