Subject: Comb binding

Comb binding

From: Jane Cullinane <jcullinane>
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2004
Valinda Carroll <vscarroll [at] earthlink__net> writes

>I am working with a collection which has just created a preservation
>department.  The biggest surprise that I've encountered is the large
>quantity of broken plastic "comb" and other novel plastic binding
>systems. ...

At the Connecticut State Library we also deal with these plastic
bindings. When we want to bind a volume with a comb binding, we
consider several options.

    1.  Our printing office has a device that allows them to easily
        replace a broken comb binding with a new one, as long as the
        holes line up with the prongs on their device.

    2.  Our commercial bindery will bind the document, after
        trimming off all, some or none of the holes, depending on
        the amount of inner margin. We remove the comb bindings
        before sending the volume to the bindery but the bindery
        removes velo bindings for us. If the bindery has to leave
        all the holes, we still get a strong binding even though the
        holes are visible in the inner margin. I occasionally worry
        that some vandal can easily rip out these perforated pages,
        but I have no evidence that such a thing has happened.

    3.  Many state publications, which are copyright free, have comb
        bindings or other plastic bindings. If the inner margin in
        inadequate, and it frequently is, we photocopy those pages
        which will present a problem. Because the state publications
        are such an important part of our collection, we photocopy
        the entire document, if necessary.

Jane F. Cullinane
Preservation Librarian, Collection Management Unit
Connecticut State Library
231 Capitol Ave.
Hartford CT 06106-1537
860-757-6524
Fax: 860-757-6559

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 24, 2004