Subject: Pencils

Pencils

From: Irmhild Schafer <irmhild.schaefer>
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2004
Margaret Holben Ellis <mhe1 [at] nyu__edu> writes

>I am researching 20th century drawing materials and have seen the
>same A.W. Faber "Castell" Polychromos colored pencils labeled as
>Made in Germany as well as Made in Bavaria.  I am wondering if the
>Bavarian made pencils are pre-WWII? Thanks to all pencil fans!

To answer your question reliably we contacted the archive of A.W.
Faber Castell which is located in Stein near Nurnberg in Bavaria.
The respond was that both two labels: "Made in Germany" and "Made in
Bavaria" of the A.W. Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencils are
listed in the company's catalog at the latest from the thirties.

Dr. Irmhild Schafer
Institut fur Buch- und Handschriftenrestaurierung
Staatliche Fachakademie zur Ausbildung von
Restauratoren fur Bibliotheks- und Archivgut
Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
Ludwigstr. 16
D-80539 Muenchen
Postadresse: D-80803 Munchen
Germany
+49 89 28638 2625
Fax: +49 89 285773

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 24, 2004