Subject: Digitization

Digitization

From: Anna Buelow <anna.buelow>
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Increasingly, The National Archives (UK) is looking into
possibilities or options of out-sourcing scanning and digitisation
of record series which are too large to be done in-house. In order
to do so successfully (i.e. without jeopardizing the integrity of
the records), we will have to devise a set of rules that sets out
our requirements with respect to preservation (e.g. mechanisms of
scanning, storage off site, handling of documents, security, etc.).
Ideally, these are to be included in the tendering process, and
subsequently in any resulting contract.

I have done some web searches on the matter, but it seems to me
wherever one looks for preservation and digitisation, the subject
matter is the preservation of digital material rather than the
survival of original records before, during and after scanning. Does
anyone have any experience with this sort of problem, or can
somebody provide me with useful documentation on the subject? I
would be grateful for any information or experiences shared.

Dr Anna E. Bulow
Preservation Manager
The National Archives
Conservation Department