Subject: New publication--The Bonefolder

New publication--The Bonefolder

From: Peter Verheyen <pdverhey>
Date: Sunday, November 14, 2004
We would like to announce the publication of the first issue of the
Bonefolder, a new peer-reviewed "open-access" e-journal for
bookbinding and the book arts. The Bonefolder is an outgrowth of the
Book Arts Web at <URL:http://www.philobiblon.com>, enabling it to
reach a global audience and contribute to the body of knowledge in
the book arts.

The namesake of the Bonefolder is the Falzbein, a bookbinding
journal which existed under various other names from 1927 to 1966 in
Germany, providing generations of bookbinders with an important
source of learning. We also pay homage to the excellent journals
published by Designer Bookbinders, the Society of Bookbinders, and
the Guild of Book Workers, who with their proven history of
excellence in publishing and the promotion of the book arts have set
the bar high.

We will take advantage of the benefits of online publishing to bring
you an e-journal which will complement the offerings of other
publications. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge waiting to
be shared, and we would like to do our part to foster the continued
development and growth of the book arts. Articles will be authored
by established and emerging authorities on a variety of book arts
topics. These include hand bookbinding, teaching, business practice,
the history of the book, general tips and tricks, exhibitions,
how-to technical articles, and reviews. The articles selected for
this first issue will represent a snapshot of the range of articles
we hope to present into the future.

The first issue, full subscription (notification of new issues),
article submission, and advertising information can be found at:

    <URL:http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>

Publisher and Editor/Reviewer:

    Peter D. Verheyen
    Bookbinder and Conservator / Special Collections Preservation
        and Digital Access Librarian
    Syracuse University Library,
    Syracuse, NY

Editors/Reviewers:

    Pamela Barrios
    Conservator
    Brigham Young University, Orem, UT

    Donia Conn
    Rare Book Conservator
    Syracuse University Library, Syracuse, NY

    Don Rash
    Fine and edition binder
    Plains, PA

Peter D. Verheyen