Subject: Cleaning cities

Cleaning cities

From: Wendy Walters <wendyaw>
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Barnea Levi Selavan <selavan [at] netvision__net__il> writes

>We are preparing a report for the Jerusalem Municipality and would
>appreciate your input.

In Australia we have a very good program called Clean Up Australia.
One day on a weekend is set aside where residents are asked to spend
some time cleaning up. The program is advertised through  government
groups, residents groups and the media. Residents are supplied with
gloves, bags and other necessary items.

The rubbish collected is measured (many hundreds of tons of
rubbish is collected each year) and the types of rubbish collected
is documented. For example, recently the amount of plastics has made
the news. The media communicates these percentages in the hope that
the amount will be reduced over time. The program assists with
cleaning up our cities and also is an awareness program. Hopefully
encouraging residents and visitors to minimize the habit of
discarding rubbish.  I have participated several times and it was
good fun and very rewarding. The web site is
<URL:http://www.cleanup.com.au>

                 Distributed: Monday, November 22, 2004