Subject: Cleaning glass

Cleaning glass

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Zoe Old <zold [at] iwm__org__uk> writes

>We are trying to identify a cleaning product, either chemical or
>non-chemical for cleaning windscreens, mirrors etc on our large
>exhibits that are on display.

Here at the Corning Museum of Glass we use a proprietary cleaner for
exhibit cases and exhibitry (in which categories are included
windscreens and mirrors, as they are not catalogued objects).  It is
called "ZEP 40" and is described as a "non-streaking cleaner for
non-conductive surfaces".  It is made by Zep Manufacturing Company,
A Division of Acuity Special Products Group, Inc., with a logo
"Clean Across America and Throughout the World" (which implies to
me, that this may be available outside the U.S.).

The major components are water and isopropyl alcohol, and it does
not contain ammonia.  In general, I recommend 95:5 water:alcohol for
light cleaning of glass, so this is probably as close to that as you
can get in a commercial product.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass